What is speech?
‘Speech’ is the sounds we put together to form words. These sounds are formed using the lips, tongue, teeth, mouth and nose.
Young children’s speech is often ‘unclear’, i.e. they use wrong sounds in words. It is important to remember:
- All children develop differently
- Not all children talk clearly from the beginning
- Not all children can say all the sounds right away
- Your child may develop clear speech over time with no help needed
How can I spot unclear speech?
- You might understand them, but others may not.
- They may often be asked to repeat what they have said.
- They may not be able to get their message across.
- They may become more and more frustrated.